Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Advent.

It's been two months since I posted! Where did that time go? I entirely missed Thanksgiving and all my yummy treats and fun crafts and sweet stories. Ah. But...as we all know...Christmas will not be missed.

Since tomorrow is December 1st, it's fitting to do a post on the Advent.

I love Advent season. I love reading on and meditating on the Israelites and their expectation for the Messiah. Their waiting and hoping. Then Jesus came. He died and redeemed and rose again. And one day He will return and ransom His children. He will make the broken healed, the lost found, the damaged restored- once for all. I can't wait!
So, in the meantime, we wait.

I was thinking through how to do the advent with my little charges this year. I have a couple of really cool things I'm starting with them tomorrow I want to share!

This is an awesome Advent ornament. I'm going to just use it as a stand alone. You turn the bottom as each day passes, and every day (Dec 1-25) has a short explanation with a child explaining the events leading up to a Messiah. It's so so neat, entertaining, and a fun way to share truth. I can't wait to give it to them in the morning! You can get it at any Hallmark store for $25.

I found this book at Barnes and Noble today and was so excited. It's about a little bear and his mommy talking about the excitement of Christmas coming. They embark on a journey on their "road to Bethlehem." Each day has a small story, adding onto the story of Jesus, up until the day He was born. Again, a sweet way to talk about Christ; waiting for His first coming, Him coming, and now waiting for His second coming.

I'm praying that these simple truths would resonate in the hearts and souls of my kiddos. Christmas is a busy and stressful time - for everyone - but don't lose sight of Jesus. All of this excitement and joy is but a shadow of the Messiah. My pastor has been doing a series on the advent and will continue it until Christmas. You can listen to those here. Be encouraged and see Christ in traditions, decorations, anticipation, expectation, family gatherings, buying gifts, etc etc. If we base our hope in the "season", what happens when it's gone, when it fades? Let us wait to eager anticipation for JESUS!


Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee
Israel's strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment