Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kids Bibles and homemade place mats. Necessities :)

Bibles

My favorite kids Bible ever is the Jesus storybook Bible. Every single story (based on Scripture) points back to Jesus and this whole life being about Jesus - not us. It's full of Biblical truth that kids understand. I love love love it! You can read all about it and buy the Bible here, at Barnes and Noble, or at a Christian bookstores.


That being said, Caiti (4 years old) is obsessed with anything princess, pink, sparkly, girly, etc. I had a hard time getting her to connect as I read this Bible, so I looked at Barnes and Noble to see what I could find. I found The Sweetest Story Bible. I like the foundational truths in the Jesus Storybook Bible more, but she can't read yet, so she doesn't know when I add stuff :) But I love this Bible also! Each chapter is based on a story in Scripture, along with the reference where that story is found. At the end of each chapter is gives "Sweet Thoughts" with a short thought summing up the chapter and "Sweet Words", a Bible verse for that chapter. Caiti loves this one, and with me adding a bit more truth and some of my own words, it's a winner! You can get that here, at Barnes and Noble, or at a Christian bookstore.



Crafts

If you know me, you know I love anything sentimental. I use A LOT of pictures for crafts. I love that it's a moment frozen in time, used to enhance a child's creativity. Kids love it too - anything where they can always see themselves. :) One of the best ways to do that is by making homemade place mats. It's super super easy!

What you need:
  • The big square pieces of card stock paper (you can get these for 50¢ or $1 at Michael's or Hobby Lobby) 
  • Decorations (it depends on what you want the theme of your place mat to be: i.e., fall, Christmas, princess, cars, Birthday, etc etc) - I've found flat decorations work better once you laminate, but we've done both and we make it work. :)
  • Pictures printed out.
  • Glue (glue stick or hot glue gun will work)
  • Markers if you want to write on it (crayons don't show up well)
Directions:
  • Decorate your place mat however you want to. Leave a little room on the edges to cut the paper smaller if you have to. Depending on where you take it to get laminated, the machines aren't always fit to the size of the paper. That's kind of annoying.
  • Laminate it: I've done self laminating, but it just doesn't turn out as well. Taking it somewhere (we always do Office Depot), like a story, or if you have access to a school. A small at home laminator is not big enough; it has to be one of the big laminators. 
  • And that's it!! Super easy. I wash mine in the sink and they're fine. Here are examples:
These are our fall ones we did last year. We decided to keep it simple and matching. :) We're using these right now!

Maddie's Christmas one from last year!

Caiti and Jake. They picked out their own themes and decorated it themselves. Love these!


As I was putting Jake in his car seat this morning, the first thing he said to me was: "Sing songs. Jesus! Jesus songs. Sing." He LOVES our WeSing Bible songs and Veggie Tales worship album. I can hear him in the backseat singing along to them. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with where the Lord has placed me with this family and my calling to share Christ with them. I am oftentimes reminded, however, that it is not I who will give an account for these children before the Lord. I am merely being used as a vessel to share Jesus and His love.
~~~~~
To nannies: You are NOT accountable before Christ for these kids you care for. I'm with them so much sometimes I feel that I am, but I'm not. Take a deep breath and remember that. Trust Christ with their salvation, and if the parents of your kiddos aren't saved, daily pray for that. Boldly share the gospel. You ARE accountable for that. Seeds are being planted you cannot even see. Trust Him.
~~~~~
To parents: You ARE accountable before Christ for your kids. Not for their salvation, but for raising them under the fear and truth of God. As a single woman, that's an intimidating (yet I want it SO bad) thought. As a believer, you MUST see your kids as souls in need of a Savior, not just a baby who won't stop crying or a toddler who won't mind you or a young kid who sasses you. They are sinners in need of a Savior. Daily share truth, hope, and love with them.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6
In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15
Preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
2 Timothy 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment